Bar Bat Mitzvah
Imagine your family’s journey to a beautiful mountain top village where you find ancient olive trees, bursts of tropical flowers and the wide smiles and warm embrace of local Italians who are just now returning to their Jewish roots. You will find all this and more when your travel to the “toe” of the Italian “boot,” for your teen’s Bar Bat Mitzvah ceremony.
Your Italian Jewish experience begins with a walking tour of “Timpone,” the Old Jewish Quarter of “Nicastro,” (now called Lamezia Terme), located on the ridge beneath the castle of King Frederick II who protected his Jewish subjects. Amazingly, Jewish life prospered in the area since the 1100’s! Along the way you’ll see an ancient representation of Jewish craft as you view intricate wrought iron balconies, hundreds of years old – an art from brought to the area by the Jews of Spain.
And then there’s Gino, the local “falengnamo,” a woodworker and artisan who opens his workshop to guests from all over the world and a stop at the coffee bar where you’ll sample the very best gelato (Italian ice cream) you’ve ever tasted!
You can make this remarkable experience come to life for your teen and create this one-of-a- kind experience for your family. Working with Rabbi Barbara makes the process, uncomplicated and stress-free.
- Select and secure your Bar Bat Mitzvah date.
- Select a local tutor who will work with Rabbi Barbara. (We can help you find your child’s private teacher).
- With help and guidance of the tutor and Rabbi Barbara, you teen selects the verses he/ she wants to read. We find that when the student decides on the verses to be read, their interest level soars!
- Rabbi Barbara communicates directly with your tutor so that Hebrew reading is adapted to the students’ needs and abilities. The amount of Hebrew to be read and the way it is read is based upon the individual needs of the student. Every student, regardless of learning style, difference or disability, can succeed and no previous Hebrew training is required.
- Course work includes a hands-on mitzvah project where the student shares in a “Tikkun Olam” experience to help make the world a better place. Interfaith and non-traditional families are warmly welcomed. Parents and grandparents of all faiths are welcome to participate on the bimah. For families who are just now introducing Jewish tradition to their children, our Bar and Bat Mitzvah program brings Judaism to life in a loving and meaningful way.
To Plan your family’s Bar Bat Mitzvah
Bar/Bat Mitzvah now available on the breathtaking island of Rhodes, Greece. Learn more by clicking here!